How to choose a pet
Dog or cat?
Choosing to have a new pet as part of your family is a big commitment and there are some important things to consider before making the decision to take on a dog or cat. Please consider your lifestyle and how your new pet is going to fit in.
- How much time do you have to devote to caring for a pet?
- How much human contact will it require and can you offer that?
- How will your new pet fit in with the other people and pets in your home?
- Do you have indoor and outdoor space which will meet your new pet’s needs?
- Who will care for your new pet when you go away?
How much will it cost to keep?An important part of the decision-making process is considering the ongoing costs of caring for your new pet:
- There’ll be initial costs to get things set up like bedding and other essentials such as collars/leads (dogs), litter trays (cats) and toys
- Don’t forget food and regular treatments for fleas and worms which you can purchase from your vet
- Then you need to remember annual costs like the booster vaccination
- And finally you may want to think about insurance to help meet the cost of illness or injury which can be quite substantial